I had a bit of spare time, so I thought I would try my hand at covering a song by one of my favourite bands.
I replaced the string section at the beginning of the original with spectrally frozen instances of the first four vocal syllables. In CDP I then coded four lines of pitch shift data to create an emulation of what the strings were originally doing. A variation of this reappears in the "It's Time" section.
All of the percussive elements are actually recycled consonants from the live vocal take. The kick drums, for example, comes from the "B" in "No umBrellas..." (with some heavy processing, of course!)
The bass guitar is replaced by another spectrally frozen voice - this time with a side-chained gate to create the pulsed pattern.
The hammered dulcimer is my interpretation of what the gentle guitars are doing in the original song.
The piece was feeling a little bare, so I introduced some gently sweeping, distorted guitar chords. Because the electroacoustic percussion in the song has an almost "electronic" feel (and there is an already established four-to-the-floor pulse), I decided to add a side-chained compressor to the guitar from the kick drum in order to create a "pumping" feeling found in a lot of Trance/Chill-out music.
I hope you enjoy it!